Conditions for Adopting a Child – After going through several stages of the screening process, we are finally able to perfect the articles we have collected with data from reliable sources regarding the requirements for adopting a child.
Before adopting a child, there are several conditions that must be met. The requirements include:
- Physically and mentally healthy
- Minimum age 30 years and maximum 50 years
- The religion is the same as the religion of the adopted child candidate
- Proven to have good behavior and have never been convicted of a crime
- Have been married for at least 5 years
- Not a same-sex couple
- Do not or do not have children or only have one child
- Have a capable economic and social situation
- Get the child’s consent and written permission from the child’s parent or guardian
- Make a written statement that adoption is carried out in the best interests of the child, his welfare and protection
- There are social reports from local social workers
- Has cared for a prospective adopted child for at least 6 months after being given a custody permit
- Get permission from the Minister and / or the head of a social agency.
Apart from parents, prospective adopted children must also meet the existing requirements before being adopted. Several conditions that must be fulfilled by the prospective adopted child, namely:
- Not yet 18 years old which are divided into three priorities, where children who are not yet 6 years old are the top priority, children aged 6-12 years are adopted as long as there are sudden reasons, and children aged 12-18 years are adopted as long as the child requires special protection.
- Abandoned or neglected children
- Children are in family care or in childcare institutions
- Children need protection.
If the child’s origin is not known, then their religion can be adjusted to the religion of the majority of the local population. After you and your prospective adopted child have met all of these requirements, then you can follow the procedures set by the government for adopting a child.
How to adopt a child
The steps that must be taken in adopting a child, namely submitting an application to the regional court where the prospective child is. Social service officers will visit your home with your spouse to evaluate the economic, social, psychological and financial conditions. If deemed appropriate, you and your partner will get permission based on the Temporary Custody Permit to bring the prospective adopted child to live together for 6-12 months. Parents and prospective children will also be supervised and guided by Social Service Officers during that time. Furthermore, you and your partner as prospective parents will undergo a child adoption trial with at least two witnesses who know and understand your condition. Then, a decision will be determined whether the child adoption application you submitted is approved or rejected. If the application is approved, a legally binding decision will be issued from the court to be registered in the civil registry. However, if the application is rejected, then the child will be returned to the social institution where he came from. The process of adopting a child through the official channel does not require a fee, but the whole process is quite long, up to approximately two years. However, the legal status that is pocketed will certainly guarantee the safety of both the child and the family. It should be noted that a person can adopt a child at most two times, with a minimum interval of two years. If you are going to adopt twins, then adoption can be done at the same time with the twins. Adoption by a single parent is allowed, but can only be done after obtaining permission from the Minister. Permission granting will be delegated to the head of the social agency in the province. In order to get clearer and more complete information regarding child adoption, it is better if you visit the nearest social agency information service center. Discuss various things about the requirements and the series of child adoption processes with the existing officers.